1/20/2008

Newbery Award

2008 Newbery Award Winners Announced / 2008 Newbery Award Winner: Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy SchlitzHonor titles:Elijah of Buxton, Christopher Paul CurtisWednesday Wars, Gary SchmidtFeathers, Jacqueline Woodson

Derobing Children’s Literature Awards / When I was a child, I was obsessed with the Newbery Award. I was a reader, big time, and with so many books to choose from, I saw those gold and silver seals as holy stamps of official worthiness. I imagined the Newbery Committee as a circle of robed ancients in a windowless room, unchallengeable in their wisdom. Since then, I’ve met folks who served on the Newbery Medal Selection Committee. You’d think that with the curtain raised I might be disappointed, but it’s quite the opposite. I’ve been nothing but impressed by their credentials, their zeal for quality children’s books, their realness, and their lack of hooded robes. The truth behind the curtain is much more exciting than the fantasy. (Speaking of which, to get a real look at the Newbery process, read Monica Edinger’s excellent blog, Educating Alice.) I’ve served on some judging committees myself now, including this year’s Cybils Award. And while I do tend to don a hooded robe, lock myself in a dark room, and bathe soberly in a pillar of light while I make my own deliberations, I suspect that I’m in the minority.

Newbery Award in other blogs:


Mock Newbery Award and Honors
Reading the Newbery Award Winners

No comments: